Position: Signal & Communication Apprentice
Requirement: Valid driver’s license
We are a transportation company that offers integrated transportation services: rail, intermodal, trucking, freight forwarding, warehousing and distribution. We continue to deliver the goods year in and year out.
- S&C Apprentices will gain the knowledge and skills to become qualified Signal Maintainers, whose duties include installing, repairing, testing and maintaining various signal and communications systems and apparatus, including railway signaling systems, wayside information systems, and highway grade crossing protection systems. Typical Apprentice duties include hand digging to bury cable, wiring equipment, using a variety of hand tools, bonding rail and testing signal plants.
- Critical performance areas include the following but may vary depending on location and circumstances:
- Highway grade crossing protection, automatic classification yards.
- Install, repair, maintain, test and inspect signal systems including automatic block, traffic control, train stop, train control, cab signal and interlocking systems.
- Use of a wide variety of hand tools, on track high-rail equipment, and test instruments.
- Perform construction duties, including digging holes and trenches to lay cables, wiring apparatus, setting piers, installing equipment, etc.
- Work shift work, as well as work away from home on various work cycles.
- Work at all locations across the region.
- Work outdoors, sometimes in extreme weather conditions, involving physical work.
- Perform repetitive physical activities during the course of a shift.
- Good climbing and balancing skills for performing installation and maintenance activities.
- Frequent lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds (22 kg) and occasionally lifting up to 85 pounds (39 kg).
- Good eye-hand coordination, grasping and working at heights and elevations.
- Comply with safe work procedures and policies.
The ideal candidate profile:
- Good teamwork.
- Ability to work independently, well organized and can maintain a schedule.
- Ability to provide clear written and verbal communications.
- Capable of reading and understanding visual displays and written communications.
- Ability to understand and apply electrical/electronic and mechanical principles.
- Ability to follow company safety procedures, use common sense and maintain an overall level of safety awareness.
- Capable of making effective decisions in unfamiliar locations or when responding to changes or interruptions in work processes.
- Ability to judge the condition of objects/parts for wear and/or defects.
- Computer skills that apply to the job.
Knowledge of signals or Rail Operating Rules.
Commercial driver’s license.
Completion of a Bachelor’s degree, or a 2 or 3 year College level program in electronics, electrical engineering or other related field such as physics or mathematics.
Click here to Apply for this position
(Apply soon before the above Job get expired)